The advice varies widely, culturally and historically, But here is my best "shot" at an AntiAging Approach to some healthy steps that are easy to do and have shown benefit in preventing the flu. As well as considering the usual precautions and recommendations, consider the following:
1. Eat Healthy, Exercise mild to moderately and Get Natural Sunlight, without blocking with harmful chemicals found in most sunscreens and allow Vitamin D3 to enter without burning.
2. Take Vitamin D Supplements - A dose of 5000 IU of Vitamin D3 daily improves the chance of getting to a blood level that can provide increased immunity to viruses and flu.
3. Get a Vitamin D high dose shot of 50,000 IU for adults which will raise levels quicker.
4. Get your Vitamin D3 levels tested and use supplements to raise your level to the target of at least 70 ng/dL. www.vitamindcouncil.org
4. Take Colostrum , a food supplement from the fore milk of (ideally grass fed) cows ( yet lactose free ) known to boost the immune system and help to prevent the flu amongst many other healthy anti-aging benefits. http://prosovlabs.com#bestdefence
5. Consider high dose Vitamin C and other high dose nutraceuticals Intravenous Therapy to bolster the immune system. http://prosovlabs.com#bestdefence
If Symptoms occur consider taking a dose of 50000 IU daily for 3 days for a treatment effect. This disaster preparedness dosing has been advocated for influenza and SARS.
Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2007 Apr;13(2):130-6.
Prevention of influenza episodes with colostrum compared with vaccination in healthy and high-risk cardiovascular subjects: the epidemiologic study in San Valentino.
The efficacy of a 2-month treatment with oral colostrum in the prevention of flu episodes compared with antiinfluenza vaccination was evaluated. Groups included healthy subjects without prophylaxis and those receiving both vaccination and colostrum. After 3 months of follow-up, the number of days with flu was 3 times higher in the non-colostrum subjects. The colostrum group had 13 episodes versus 14 in the colostrum + vaccination group, 41 in the group without prophylaxis, and 57 in nontreated subjects. Part 2 of the study had a similar protocol with 65 very high-risk cardiovascular subjects, all of whom had prophylaxis. The incidence of complications and hospital admission was higher in the group that received only a vaccination compared with the colostrum groups. Colostrum, both in healthy subjects and high-risk cardiovascular patients, is at least 3 times more effective than vaccination to prevent flu and is very cost-effective.
There are countless studies in peer reviewed journals documenting the efficacy of Vitamin D supplementation and protection against the flu. Yet why does mass media not promote this more ? Why do many conventional doctors not promote this ? The one reason possibly is the lack of revenue for big pharma drug companies who cannot profit off a molecule found in nature.